ILLUSTRATION & VISUAL NARRATIVE TASK 2: DECISIVE MOMENT

ILLUSTRATION & VISUAL NARRATIVE TASK 2: DECISIVE MOMENT


(WEEK7---WEEK11)


TASK 2: DECISIVE MOMENT

LIU CHENG RUI (0370930)

Illustration and Visual Narrative | Bachelor of Design in Creative Media | Taylor's University



LECTURES

Week 7:
Mr Hafiz gave us some briefing regarding the assignment. We were instructed to create a animated album cover of the artist, Frank Sinatra. We need to choose one song his song. By appreciating the artistry and lyrics, we required to sketch initial ideas , figure out storyline, illustrate and compose and animate a ‘moment’ base of the understanding from the chosen song. 
Illustrated typography must be included. Foreground, midground and background must be considered and illustrated. Artsyle such as Minimalist, Retro, Pop Art and Art Nouveau are recommended. 
Project Brief
You are to choose one song from the list below, appreciate the song, hear it through and understand the lyrics. You are then required to sketch initial ideas , figure out  storyline, illustrate and compose and animate a ‘moment’ base of your understanding from the chosen song. This moment will be the album cover. Illustrated typography must be included. Foreground mid ground and background must be considered and illustrated.
Project criteria
Recommended Art Style Art Deco/Minimalist/Retro/Pop Art/Art Nouveau
Originality - how unique is your idea and how suitable is it?
Technique - your basic skills in composition, your illustration style and proposal that fits the song
Interpretation - How did you interpret the song into your Illustration
Storytelling - Does your proposal tells a story? Does it show emotion? it's important not just to draw a character standing with a blank expression
Requirements - initial storyline, ideas + sketches| illustration | final animation gif
The recommended size is linked below.
Fig 1.7.1 3x4 Safe Area 
Fig 1.7.2 skrtch and rationale
Fig 1.7.3 Artwork Specifications


Week9
Three components
1. Where will the viewer's eyes initially fall (focus)?
2. What's the second place viewers might turn their eyes to?
3. Where will the audience's eyes end up?



INSTRUCTIONS


Task 2:
 Decisive Moment

Assignment :
1.0 New York,New York
1.1 Album cover
1.2 Animated album cover

The song "New York, New York" has a feeling of energy and passion. It expresses the love and yearning for New York City through Frank Sinatra's unique interpretation. The melody of the song is cheerful and dynamic, which makes people involuntarily swing to the rhythm.

The lyrics describe the process of pursuing a dream in New York City, with an optimistic and open-minded attitude no matter what difficulties and challenges they face. Sinatra's voice is both powerful and infectious, making people feel like they are in a bustling metropolis and feel the atmosphere of infinite possibility.

Overall, "New York, New York" is a song that inspires passion and confidence, not only as a celebration of the city, but also as an expression of a positive attitude in life.


New York,New York
Here are the pictures I refer to:
I prefer to use pop art and minimalist art to design my album, because I like the bright color block distribution of Pop art and the graphic segmentation of minimalist art.




story 1:
It's a post-World War II love story between a musician and a singer, set in late 1940s New York.So I decided to portray their love story in New York City.
story 2:
Another theory is that the song expresses people's longing for New York life, so it can describe the prosperity of New York, or a spirit of pursuing good freedom.

sketch

In this sketch, I try to outline the figure of New York City (mainly composed of rectangular splices) by using pen tools, etc.


 album art

 album art
In the end, I prefer the second plot, because in my impression, New York should be a prosperous and enthusiastic city, so I choose to use relatively simple color blocks to describe the urban architecture of New York, and various color blocks also symbolize the craziness and diversity of New York.

Story line: 
Prosperous and crazy New York City, is a place that countless people desire and cannot touch, people's pursuit of New York has risen to a point of almost sinking, New York in their eyes is colorful, is free, and even the Goddess of Liberty is so bright



Experience:





Animation album making process
 
 



Animation album
Description:
For the design of this GIF, I think the dynamic of designing the city as jumping up and down is consistent with the enthusiasm and exuberance of the city described in the song New York, New York, to a certain extent, and the bright colors complement each other.

In the process of making GIFs, I tried to export action pictures many times, but due to the large capacity of GIFs, I almost spent more time than making them, and even couldn't display them completely on the blog at the end because they were too large. Finally, I tried to adjust the frame number of the animation and the size of the image, and it was successful.

Lab 4: Illustrated Type
In the class of the 10th week, Sir Asked us to try font deformation. First of all, Sir Gave a fish demonstration in class. In this process, I found that the magic wand tool is a very wonderful tool, so in the following exercises, I focused on the magic wand tool and used it to assist me in completing my homework.



                                     

My practice


We also did graphic tracing and the use of text and pencil tools along the path, which I have to say helped me with the task of animating the album.


FEEDBACK
WEEK8
This week, Mr.Hafiz told us about the new task and requirement for us to complete the music album cover through AI software, which is undoubtedly a big challenge for me. Because of the various art forms and techniques involved, I am not sure if I can apply them, so the work proceeded very slowly.
WEEK9
In class, I saw my classmates' works and listened carefully to Mr.Hafiz to guide other students' homework, which I think is a good way to learn. After class, I try to use the art form of pop art to create my album, because this form is very colorful, which is also the reason why I am fascinated by it. Finally, I choose the song "New York" to make my album. I have deepened my understanding of this assignment this week, and my speed is fast.
WEEK10
The task this week was very difficult, because I didn't think I could complete the GIF design of the album well, at the beginning, I had no idea about GIFs, I tried to keep looking for inspiration from PINTEREST, and finally a rising sun GIF gave me inspiration, I decided to design my GIF as a bottom-up dynamic.
However, my software crashed at the last save time, and my work disappeared with it. I was very miserable, but I had more ideas at the second start, and I have to say that this episode made my GIF seem more interesting than the first one.
WEEK11
As for the final work, I can recall the production process in the past few weeks, and I have learned a lot. First of all, I have understood a variety of art forms and found an art I love -- pop art. At the same time, I have experienced two GIFs production, and my techniques have become more proficient.


REFLECTION
In these weeks of learning and practical operation, I have made some progress in the mastery and use of AI. At the same time, in the process of drawing the sketch, I found that the entry point of the utility knife should be on the path drawn by the pen tool, which I forgot many times, resulting in a lot of time for the sketch production.
Observations:
During this learning process, I observed some points of layers. For example, when I was making GIFs, the occlusion of various elements often occurred due to layer order and other problems, which annoyed me very much. However, after a computer crash, I gained more experience in this aspect, and the second time was much smoother.
Findings:
I learned a lot about the works of pop art during this period of study is the biggest harvest. Pop art is famous for its bright and bold color block combination. This style is free and enthusiastic, and I apply it to my works, my thinking seems to become out of order and no longer so stuffy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Typography Task 1

Typography Task 2

TYPOGRAPHY | TASK 3: TYPE DESIGN & COMMUNICATION