ANATOMY AND CHARACTER SCULPTURE DST 60404/Final Project
ANATOMY AND CHARACTER SCULPTURE
DST 60404/Final Project
LIU CHENG RUI (0370930)
DST 60404/ANATOMY AND CHARACTER SCULPTURE/ Bachelor of Design (Hons) in Creative Media / Taylor's University
INSTRUCTION
Final Project
week13
This week, I followed Mr. Kannan's advice and made some modifications to
certain parts of my monster model.
Fig13.1 The modified monster
After that, I focused my efforts on the final task. The first thing was
the monster's weapon. I decided to create a large sword made of stone.And
after the production is completed, add the texture of the stones to enrich
it.
Fig13.2 Weapon manufacturing process 1
After completing the bone binding last week, I began to modify the posture
of the monster. Mr. Kannan gave me the advice to find more references and
understand the holding postures of different weapons, which would be
helpful for the posture of your monster.
I tried many different ways of holding weapons. Most of them involved
holding the weapon with both hands. However, I thought if my monster pose
used both hands to hold the weapon, the weapon would block some details of
the body. So I decided to hold the weapon with one hand and adopt a
dragging posture.
Fig14.1 The posture of carrying a weapon(Front)
Fig14.2 The posture of carrying a weapon(Side)
Fig14.3 The posture of carrying a weapon(Back)
During this period, I noticed that the head of the weapon could be quite
heavy, causing the grip position to look unnatural. So I placed a stone on
the head of the weapon, allowing it to rest against the stone.
Fig14.4 Monster posture and weapons(Front)
Fig14.5 Monster posture and weapons(Side)
After combining the weapons and the monsters, I added different
textures to the heads, shoulders and shoulder guards of the
monsters respectively.
After that, I added the base and rendered the monster.
Fig14.8 Added the base(Front)
Fig14.9 Added the base(Side)
Fig14.10 Render the monster(Front)
Fig14.11 Render the monster(Side)
Fig14.12 Render the monster(Back)
After I finished rendering, I chose the monster in the
side view as the center of my poster because it looked
more solemn and imposing, and it created a sense of
pressure when combined with the light and shadow.
The overall color scheme of the poster is dark green. I
chose this color because it aligns with my monster
concept, which is that of a swamp monster. At the same
time, I added some swamp patterns that I designed myself
to the background of the monster, in order to enrich the
poster.
Fig14.14 Turnaround video
Final Project Compilation
FEEDBACK
week13
Mr. Kannan gave me the advice to find more references and understand the holding postures of different weapons, which would be helpful for the posture of your monster.
REFLECTION
Experience
Through this project, I not only completed a fully-fledged monster character sculpture, but also experienced the entire character production process. From modifying the character model, designing weapons, bone binding, posture adjustment, to final rendering and poster creation, every step has enabled me to accumulate valuable experience.
In addition, the most challenging part for me was bone rigging. Although I followed the teacher's tutorials to learn, the actual operation was far more difficult than I had imagined. Due to improper weights or bone settings, the models often suffered from severe deformations. Sometimes, even just moving the controllers would cause unexpected distortions in the models. I constantly re-rigged, adjusted the weights, and repeatedly checked the models. After many failures, I gradually mastered the correct method. This process made me deeply realize that character creation not only requires artistic expression ability, but also requires patience and meticulous technical thinking.
Observation
Throughout the project, I discovered that character design not only needs to focus on the model itself, but also needs to consider the overall effect of the work. Previously, I tended to pay more attention to the details of the sculpture, but as I continued to revise, I began to realize that the character's movements, weapons, materials, lighting, and final presentation all jointly influence the character's expressiveness. My mentor also constantly reminded me to refer to real cases more often rather than relying solely on my own ideas for production. Through continuous observation of excellent works and seeking references, I gradually understood that a good character is not necessarily one with more details, but rather all elements can cooperate well to fully express the character's personality and story.
Findings
Throughout the entire project, I realized that character creation is not just about completing each production step; it is more about learning to view one's work from an overall perspective. Previously, I focused more on whether each part was completed, but in this project, I began to place greater emphasis on the coordination of the character as a whole and the final presentation effect. Many times, a small adjustment can affect the visual presentation of the entire work. Therefore, I gradually developed the habit of repeatedly checking and constantly optimizing.
At the same time, this project also made me realize that patience and persistence are indispensable abilities in the process of completing a work. In the later stages of production, I encountered many difficulties, and some problems could not be solved at once; they required continuous adjustments and attempts. Although this process made me feel stressed and consumed a lot of time, it was precisely these experiences that taught me to remain calm and solve problems step by step instead of giving up easily when encountering difficulties.
Comments
Post a Comment